Monday, October 27, 2014

FASCINATING ARCHITECTURE

WINDOWS:
I just love the architecture in Hungary.  It is like living in history instead of reading history.  I have taken a few pictures of windows and doors.  I hope you enjoy my collection.  (I may be FORCED to add more to this post as time goes on).  


This is probably the oldest window in Pápa, Hungary.  This is also the path I take to the Church each Sunday.






This is the Parliment building in Budapest.  So of course, it is very ornate.  Even the attic windows are beautiful. 




Most of the time each of the windows in a home or business are different.  I have wondered if the more ornate window is the more important room like the kitchen rather than the bedroom.  



It seems like a lot of expense to put this window into the attic but you have to admit, it is ornate and beautiful.




I suppose there is a starecase to the tower of this church.


If you look closely at the "windows" in the foundation, you will see a smaller window.  That is actually the outlet for the smoke to exit the basement.  In the olden days (before chimneys were invented) their fireplaces were in the basement.  Now they have regular chimneys instead of outlets.  I am sure they had to keep the windows closed when they had a fire in their basement so the smoke would not go in the house.   This is an apartment building.










DOORS:
I have yet to seen any 2 doors the same.  Such exquisit labor and money in peoples doors.   It fascinates me.  Most of these doors are 10 or 12 feet high.  Some of them are badly in need of repair.  I see some replaced with new doors, however I haven't found much regular maintenance done on the older doors.  They must be very expensive to replace.









This is a doorway to the backyard.  This is probably an apartment building.  People probably park their cars in the back.









This will be familar to you.  It is the St. Charles Church and also the town square in Pápa.  These large doors remind me of the doors on the Mormon Salt Lake Temple.  Now I understand more fully why our ancestors wanted to put large doors on the Salt Lake Temple.  This is the part of the world where many of the first converts came from.  












One side note about these wondows.  Can you see a covering over the window?  That is an outsde blind that can be raised or lowered from the inside.  I have seen a few in America.   Very common here.


















No comments:

Post a Comment